The America’s healthcare system is one of the best, most comprehensive and pioneering systems in the world. Below mentioned are some of the most common health procedures that are high in demand in the Unites States:
LASIK Laser Corrective Eye Surgery
LASIK surgery is one of the most commonly performed procedures in the United States. It offers an effective solution for both nearsightedness and farsightedness issues. The recent developments in LASIK technology also allow people suffering from higher-order vision aberrations like halos and astigmatism to enjoy significantly improved vision.
Key Facts Related to LASIK in the US:
- Over 700,000 LASIK procedures are performed in the US each year
- 97 % of LASIK surgeries are successful
- 7 out of 10 LASIK patients have 20/20 vision or better following the LASIK procedure
- LASIK patients report a 95.4 % satisfaction rate following their surgery
- The complication rate for LASIK surgery is between 0.3 and 5.7 %
How it is performed?
To perform a LASIK procedure, a doctor usually follows the below steps:
- Your doctor will create a very thin flap in the surface of your eye, either manually or using surgical lasers.
- After carefully lifting up this flap, the surgeon can access the cornea, which he or she will reshape with a computer-driven laser.
- By reshaping the cornea, the surgeon corrects the refraction of light as it passes through the eye. This enables the retina to send a sharper, more precise image to the brain.
- When the surgery is complete, the doctor will gently lay the flap back down, where it will heal naturally on its own.
LASIK surgery is indeed a remarkable procedure with a high level of success.
Allergies usually occur when your immune system overreacts to something in your environment. This overreaction may lead to a runny nose, sneezing, blocked sinuses and itchy or watery eyes. Allergy testing is usually performed by a trained allergy specialist to determine if the patient’s body has an allergic reaction to a known substance. The test can be a blood test, a skin test or an elimination diet.
Key facts related to allergy in the US:
- Around 55% of the U.S. population tests positive to one or more allergens
- Allergies rank 5th number among various leading chronic diseases in the U.S.
- The annual cost of allergies to the health care system and businesses in the U.S. estimate around $7.9 billion.
- The chances of developing allergy in children with one allergic parent are about 33% and 70% with two allergic parents.
- More than 30,000 ER visits in the U.S. are caused by food allergies each year.
- Allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, is a common condition that causes symptoms such as sneezing, stuffy nose, runny nose, watery eyes and itching of the nose, eyes or the roof of the mouth.
- Researchers estimate that more than 15 million Americans have food allergies, including 5.9 million children under age 18.
How allergy testing is performed?
Before performing allergy testing, your doctor may ask you about your lifestyle, family history, and more. An allergy test generally involves either a skin test or a blood test. You may further advised to go on an elimination diet if your doctor thinks you might have a food allergy.
- Skin tests: Skin tests are performed to identify various potential allergens including airborne, food-related and contact allergens. There are basically 3 types of skin tests- scratch, intradermal, and patch tests.
- Blood tests: If you have a severe allergic reaction to a skin test, your doctor may conduct a blood test. Your blood will be tested in a laboratory for the presence of antibodies that fight specific allergens. Also known as ImmunoCAP, this test is highly effective in detecting IgE antibodies to major allergens. The test can also help find allergies to pollen, molds, dust mites, animal dander, insect stings, foods and some medicines.
- Elimination diet: The test helps your doctor to find out which foods are causing you to have an allergic reaction.
After determining which allergens are causing your symptoms, the doctor will make a plan and can also suggest medications that may ease your symptoms.
Healthcare is one of the top personal and financial priorities among most Americans. The rising cost of healthcare services, health insurance premiums and prescription drugs can lead to real financial concerns. The good news is that nowadays, there are many online sites that allow you to save on medical procedures. These sites let you compare healthcare prices for different procedures offered by well-renowned doctors in your area. You can even negotiate the price with a bunch of top healthcare providers and pick the medical service at the price you can afford.