Domestic violence has become a global problem like the other severe issues like terrorism. Domestic violence is becoming inevitable for every country, and in similar ways like a rodent is killing the country’s peace and harmony. There are steps that can be taken by the victim with the help of domestic violence attorneys to fight against the problem rather than suffering. Domestic violence attorneys are appointed by the country’s judiciary to help the victims of domestic violence to fight back against and curb the issue and root out from the country.
The present overview of Domestic Violence data of the USA
According to statistics by National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, on an average 1200 people are physically abused by an intimate partner in the USA every hour, this means 20 people per minute. This is equivalent to 10 million women and men approximately in a year.
One in every three women and one in every four men has suffered some sort of physical violence by their partners. One in seven women and one in eighteen men have been stalked once in their inasmuch to scare them on extreme levels.
On an average domestic violence hotline numbers answer 20000 calls across the entire nation everyday.
Myths about domestic violence
Women’s and kids are the only victims: This is the common perception of the society when it comes to domestic violence, the society which classifies women as the weaker section assume them to be the prime victims of domestic violence, kids being the second class of domestic violence victims. As stated above, 1 in every 18 men have been stalked once in their lifetime and 1 out of 4 have been abused. Also, 1 in every 70 men walking on the road beside you has been raped once in their lifetime.
The common outcomes of domestic violence
- An approximate of 72% HOMICIDE in the USA are an aftermath of the unbearable trauma of Domestic Violence, and 94% of the victims are females.
- Physical, mental, and sexual health effects have been reported in the past from victims of domestic violence including suicidal behaviors, depression, chronic pain, and addiction to alcohol and drugs.
- Around 25%-52% of domestic violence victims have lost their jobs.
Know the rights of Victim and don’t suffer or let them suffer
According to the United State Department Of Justice, There are certain rights of a federal domestic violence victim under 42 U.S.C. Section 10606(b) which they or their well-wisher can refer to in case they feel any kind of ill behavior practiced with a victim by anyone. These laws are to protect victims from the aftermath of domestic violence and help them recover from the trauma.
Note: Certain state laws can be different from each other, so it’s advised to consult your domestic violence attorney before filing a case
- The right of receiving fair treatment.
- The right of privacy in life.
- The right of reasonable protection from the accused offender.
- The right to be informed of court proceedings.
- The right to be present at all court proceedings regarding defense or offense.
- Restitution right.
- Confer the attorney.
- Right to information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, and release of the offender.